“The measure of the greatness of a society is found in the way it treats those most in need…”
– Pope Francis
The Durham Community Food Pantry, a program of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh, works to end food insecurity in Durham and Orange counties. The facility replicates the service model developed over 40 years at Catholic Parish Outreach Food Pantry in Raleigh. The program is a collaborative effort engaging multiple partners through Durham and Orange counties to address this incredibly important need.
Due to COVID-19, all volunteers:
- Must provide their own masks before volunteering. Please contact the volunteer coordinator for more information or questions.
- Must complete all COVID-19 Safety Related Trainings and complete the Informed Consent Documnet. Click here to view the trainings.
Box Making Assistance:
Available Shifts: Monday, 10am-3pm (2 hour requirement)
Build box and fill with pantry staples for distribution days.
Food Pantry Assistance:
Available Shifts: Tuesday mornings as well as distribution days.
- Stock shelves, sort fresh produce, pack allotment boxes
- Receive, weigh, and store canned, boxed, and refrigerated/frozen food.
- May require light, medium and heavy-duty tasks including lifting boxes of various weights, operating pallet jacks, working in chilled areas, depending on task.
- Loading food boxes into client vehicles curbside/outside (requires medium to heavy lifting).
Available Shifts: Wednesday/Thursday 9:30am-1pm and Wednesday 4:30-7pm.
- Interview clients, complete data entry and record keeping through our database by way of tablets.
- Interviews are done curbside, from driver’s window of client vehicle.
- Spanish language skills are a plus, but not required.
- Food Donations
- Food donations can be dropped off at our location from Monday – Thursday between 9:00am – 2:00pm.
- Food Drives
- Interested in your parish or organization holding a food drive? Contact Cameron Morgan, Assistant Director, at Cameron.Morgan@ccharitiesdor.org or 919-286-1964 for more information!
- If you would like to make a financial contribution in collaboration with a specific food drive, click the “Donate” button below and enter the food drive name in the comment section.
- Donate to DCFP
- To make a general financial donation to the Durham Community Food Pantry, click the button below.
Catholic Charities offers emergency financial assistance for bills such as electric, gas, or water. If you need assistance, please call 919-286-1964 or send an email to Elena.Cesin@ccharitiesdor.org. In-person services are currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Durham Community Food Pantry is excited to share some nutrition information with the community.
Click on the videos below to hear what local dieticians are saying about food served at our pantry.
Video One Introduction to Nutrition
Video Two Starting Out and Common Challenges
Video Three Nutrition Myths
Video Four Small Changes
Video Five Kids and Nutrition
Shelf Life For Foods Shelf-Life Guide/Guia de Usar por Fecha
Jeremy Ireland (Bilingual)
David Juarez Torres (Bilingual)
ASSISTANT PROGRAM DIRECTOR
FAMILY CASE MANAGER
Elena Cesin (Bilingual)
Full Accredited Representative
Luisa Martin-Price (Bilingual)
Nutrition Education Specialist
Mary Drue Hall (Bilingual)