Catholic Charities welcomes individuals and families of all faiths or no faith tradition, living in the following counties to participate in services: Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover, and Pender.
For Burgaw Social Services, visit Burgaw location page.
Financial assistance is available to assist eligible families recovering from Hurricane Florence. To receive assistance, please contact the disaster staff member assigned to your county according to the list below. If you have any questions, please contact the Wilmington Office.
Bladen – Daniela Vereau – 910-251-8130 ext. 114
Brunswick – Daniela Vereau – 910-251-8130 ext. 114
Columbus – Michele Yanicak – 910-251-8130 ext. 117
Duplin – Sonia Royes – 910-259-5153
New Hanover – Michele Yanicak – 910-251-8130 ext. 117
Pender – Daniela Vereau – 910-259-5153 ext. 114
Hours of Operation:
Friday: 9 am – 11:30 am.
*Additional August Hours: Tuesday – Thursday: 9 am- 11:30 am.
No appointments needed.
The Catholic Charities Wilmington food pantry serves those who are hungry in the Cape Fear area through distribution of non-perishable emergency food. This service is provided by staff and volunteers in partnership with the community, without regard to race or religion.
Individuals or families in need may come to the food pantry once every 30 days to receive a 3 – 4 day supply of groceries. People without kitchen access receive a small bag of no-cook food items and are served weekly. Those requesting food are asked to show identification and describe their needs.
Pender County Food access:
Hours: Thursday: 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Catholic Charities clients from Pender County in need of food assistance are encouraged to utilize the St. Joseph Food Pantry located at 1303 Highway 117 South, Burgaw. During food pantry hours, individuals also have access to health education, health screenings, emergency assistance, and case management services provided by Catholic Charities.
If you are considering donating food or funds to keep the pantry stocked, some of the most requested items are:
|· Peanut Butter||· Canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon, etc.)|
|· Cereal||· Silk Milk|
|· Granola bars||· Pop top canned vegetables|
|· Rice||· Pop top canned fruit|
|· Pasta||· Fruit cups|
|· Protein drinks and bars||· Apple Sauce|
|· Beans||· Oatmeal|
We are able to assist in the completion and submission of various legal documents including: Applications for Citizenship, Naturalization, and Family Unification. Our professional staff also provide informational sessions to parish and community groups on immigration rights, responsibilities, and current immigration issues and resources.
Please be advised, our staff are not able to represent families during legal proceedings. All cases related to deportation or a removal situation are referred to the NC Justice Center.
Currently, Maria Cruz Mendoza is not accepting new immigration cases. Please contact Sister Roseanne at Saint Brendan the Navigator in Shallotte, NC at 910-616-2105 or Consuela Kwee at the Raleigh office at 919-821-8148.
St. Brendan Parish
Sr. Rosanne Caiazzo, BIA Accredited Representative
- Pick Up Hours: Tuesday – Friday 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Catholic Charities is the distribution site for the Lower Cape Fear Diaper Bank. Low-income families can access 30-50 diapers once every 30 days.
- Baby clothing sizes newborn to 24 months.
- Families can shop in the baby room once every 60 days.
- Other baby items:
- Availability based on donations.
- Frequently in stock items include: formula, baby food, blankets, bouncy seats, toys, etc.
Hygiene and Household Cleaning items:
- Individuals and families can access these items monthly during emergency assistance hours.
- Frequently in stock items include:
• Tissues • Shampoo • Detergent • Soap • Hand Soap • Bug Spray • Dishwasher Soap • Toothbrushes • Shaving Kits
- Call before you come to ensure we have what you need.
Emergency Utility Assistance:
- Assistance is available to low and moderate income families who live in New Hanover, Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, and Pender counties.
- Funds are used to help families pay their utility bills as a means to prevent homelessness.
- To access this service, call 910-251-8130 to make an appointment with a case manager.
- Due to limited resources, all individuals and families are screened and must go through an intake process.
- Please bring photo ID, copy of your bill, and proof of emergency at your time of appointment.
Services in Support of the Family provide assistance for poor, isolated and vulnerable families in the Cape Fear Area. Families receive a comprehensive assessment of needs, which results in either initial problem-solving for many issues, or a supported referral to connect with other services within the community. Services are provided in English and Spanish. For more detailed information about this program, please visit the Services in Support of the Family page.
Services offered under this program include:
- Monthly Job Lists
- Translation Services
- Case management and goal setting
- Childhood developmental screenings for children ages birth to 5
- Parenting Sessions:
- Triple P is the flexible, practical way to develop skills, strategies and confidence to handle any parenting situation.
- We have trained providers in Triple P, level 3 targeting families with children ages birth to 12 years old.
- Level 3 Individual Triple P is a very private and quick way to get Triple P support that targets the exact parenting problem or issue you are having.
- Sessions usually takes between 30-60 minutes.
Interested in Volunteering: Tour with us before you volunteer to learn more about Catholic Charities. Our organization would not be possible without the support of our volunteers and we are so grateful for the impact they make in our community!
Catholic Charities is seeking volunteers for the following Programs:
9:00 am to 11:30 am on Fridays
- Bagging Food
Emergency Assistance Program
9:00 am to 11:30 am Tuesday-Thursday
Complete client and family intakes. Must have good interpersonal skills and have basic computer skills. Requires dedication, reliability, and a sincere interest in helping individuals and their families in the Cape Fear region.
- Donation pick-ups
Pick up locations include the Diaper Bank of the Lower Cape Fear and Costco. Must have reliable transportation.
- Job List
Assist with compiling job list for the Cape Fear area to distribute to clients.
Other volunteer needs:
- Christmas Toy Program (opportunities from October-December)
- Construction/moving/heavy lifting
- Disaster Recovery
- Event Committee/Planning
- Graphic Design
To find out how you can volunteer, please contact the Wilmington Office at 910-251-8130.
- Chance Meeting Leads to Long Term Recovery from Hurricane Florence October 23rd, 2019 Greg first came to Catholic Charities by chance. He read the sign outside the Harrelson Center and saw Catholic Charities. He was welcomed by staff and shared why he needed help. Greg was going to a job interview that day and had spilled coffee all over his shirt. He desperately needed a clean shirt. His […] Read more...
- Featured in NC Catholics: Special tree takes root in Wilmington October 9th, 2019 From the September / October Edition of NC Catholics The coast is famous for its palm trees. Turns out that a new partnership — dubbed the Sharing Tree — is a special addition as well. Wilmington’s St. Mark Catholic Church and the Catholic Charities Cape Fear Region teamed up on the project to serve families […] Read more...
Catholic Charities Sunday
Open House October 16th, 2019 Read more...
- 3rd Annual Harrelson Center Collaborative Golf Tournament October 14th, 2019 Join Catholic Charities for the 3rd Annual Harrelson Center Collaborative Golf Tournament. We are proud to be a member of the Harrelson Center, which provides its nonprofit partners social and educational opportunities, marketing and promotions, volunteer recruitment and a place of collaboration for them to help those in need in our community. Come and enjoy a fun day on the links this October! Read more...
- Duplin County Disaster Expo August 10th, 2019 Join Catholic Charities as we host the Duplin County Disaster Expo! Read more...