Catholic Charities welcomes individuals and families of all faiths or no faith tradition, living in the following counties to participate in services: Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover, and Pender.
For Burgaw Social Services, visit Burgaw location page.
Catholic Charities of the diocese of Raleigh provides professionally-trained bilingual clinical counseling services to individuals, couples, and families who:
- Are experiencing emotional distress
- Want to grow toward their full potential
- Are experiencing difficulty dealing with stress, depression or anxiety
- Desire increased skills to deal with life’s struggles
- Desire healing from grief, loss or strained relationships
Counseling Services are provided from a perspective which recognizes the emotional, behavioral, cognitive, spiritual and physical aspects of an individuals’ healing or growth. Counseling is provided by licensed mental health therapists in English or Spanish in many areas of eastern North Carolina.
Clinical counseling is also provided in the school setting. If you are a school counselor please contact our offices to request services, or for further information.
Services can be paid for with private insurance, Medicaid or through a sliding fee scale based on income and family size.
Financial assistance is available to assist eligible families recovering from Hurricane Florence. To receive assistance, please contact the disaster staff member assigned to your county according to the list below. If you have any questions, please contact the Wilmington Office.
Bladen – Daniela Vereau – 910-251-8130 ext. 115
Brunswick – Daniela Vereau – 910-251-8130 ext. 115
Columbus – Leslie Ann Anderson – 910-251-8130 ext. 117
Duplin – Sonia Royes – 910-259-5153
New Hanover – Lena Thomas – 910-251-8130 ext. 114
New Hanover – Leslie Ann Anderson – 910-251-8130 ext. 117
Pender – Sonia Royes – 910-259-5153
Hours of Operation:
Friday: 9 am – 11:30 am.
*Additional August Hours: Tuesday – Thursday: 9 am- 11:30 am.
No appointments needed.
The Catholic Charities Wilmington food pantry serves those who are hungry in the Cape Fear area through distribution of non-perishable emergency food. This service is provided by staff and volunteers in partnership with the community, without regard to race or religion.
Individuals or families in need may come to the food pantry once every 30 days to receive a 3 – 4 day supply of groceries. People without kitchen access receive a small bag of no-cook food items and are served weekly. Those requesting food are asked to show identification and describe their needs.
Pender County Food access:
Hours: Thursday: 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Catholic Charities clients from Pender County in need of food assistance are encouraged to utilize the St. Joseph Food Pantry located at 1303 Highway 117 South, Burgaw. During food pantry hours, individuals also have access to health education, health screenings, emergency assistance, and case management services provided by Catholic Charities.
If you are considering donating food or funds to keep the pantry stocked, some of the most requested items are:
|· Peanut Butter||· Canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon, etc.)|
|· Cereal||· Silk Milk|
|· Granola bars||· Pop top canned vegetables|
|· Rice||· Pop top canned fruit|
|· Pasta||· Fruit cups|
|· Protein drinks and bars||· Apple Sauce|
|· Beans||· Oatmeal|
We are able to assist in the completion and submission of various legal documents including: Applications for Citizenship, Naturalization, and Family Unification. Our professional staff also provide informational sessions to parish and community groups on immigration rights, responsibilities, and current immigration issues and resources.
Please be advised, our staff are not able to represent families during legal proceedings. All cases related to deportation or a removal situation are referred to the NC Justice Center.
Please contact Maria Mendoza, DOJ Accredited Representative, by email
Maria.Mendoza@Raldioc.Org or at 910-251-8130 Ext.116 to schedule an appointment.
St. Brendan Parish
Sr. Rosanne Caiazzo, BIA Accredited Representative
- Pick Up Hours: Tuesday – Friday 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Catholic Charities is the distribution site for the Lower Cape Fear Diaper Bank. Low-income families can access 30-50 diapers once every 30 days.
- Baby clothing sizes newborn to 24 months.
- Families can shop in the baby room once every 60 days.
- Other baby items:
- Availability based on donations.
- Frequently in stock items include: formula, baby food, blankets, bouncy seats, toys, etc.
Hygiene and Household Cleaning items:
- Individuals and families can access these items monthly during emergency assistance hours.
- Frequently in stock items include:
• Tissues • Shampoo • Detergent • Soap • Hand Soap • Bug Spray • Dishwasher Soap • Toothbrushes • Shaving Kits
- Call before you come to ensure we have what you need.
Emergency Utility Assistance:
- Assistance is available to low and moderate income families who live in New Hanover, Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, and Pender counties.
- Funds are used to help families pay their utility bills as a means to prevent homelessness.
- To access this service, call 910-251-8130 to make an appointment with a case manager.
- Due to limited resources, all individuals and families are screened and must go through an intake process.
- Please bring photo ID, copy of your bill, and proof of emergency at your time of appointment.
Services in Support of the Family provide assistance for poor, isolated and vulnerable families in the Cape Fear Area. Families receive a comprehensive assessment of needs, which results in either initial problem-solving for many issues, or a supported referral to connect with other services within the community. Services are provided in English and Spanish. For more detailed information about this program, please visit the Services in Support of the Family page.
Services offered under this program include:
- Monthly Job Lists
- Translation Services
- Case management and goal setting
- Childhood developmental screenings for children ages birth to 5
- Parenting Sessions:
- Triple P is the flexible, practical way to develop skills, strategies and confidence to handle any parenting situation.
- We have trained providers in Triple P, level 3 targeting families with children ages birth to 12 years old.
- Level 3 Individual Triple P is a very private and quick way to get Triple P support that targets the exact parenting problem or issue you are having.
- Sessions usually takes between 30-60 minutes.
Interested in Volunteering: Tour with us before you volunteer to learn more about Catholic Charities. Our organization would not be possible without the support of our volunteers and we are so grateful for the impact they make in our community!
Catholic Charities is seeking volunteers for the following Programs:
9:00 am to 11:30 am on Fridays
- Bagging Food
Emergency Assistance Program
9:00 am to 11:30 am Tuesday-Thursday
Complete client and family intakes. Must have good interpersonal skills and have basic computer skills. Requires dedication, reliability, and a sincere interest in helping individuals and their families in the Cape Fear region.
- Donation pick-ups
Pick up locations include the Diaper Bank of the Lower Cape Fear and Costco. Must have reliable transportation.
- Job List
Assist with compiling job list for the Cape Fear area to distribute to clients.
Other volunteer needs:
- Christmas Toy Program (opportunities from October-December)
- Construction/moving/heavy lifting
- Disaster Recovery
- Event Committee/Planning
- Graphic Design
To find out how you can volunteer, please contact the Wilmington Office at 910-251-8130.
- New Partnership Provides Furniture to Families Impacted by Hurricane Florence December 21st, 2018 As Christmas approaches, a new collaboration between Catholic Charities and The Green Chair Project is providing families impacted by Hurricane Florence with furniture as they move into new homes. Following the devastating storm, many homes were flooded, not only forcing families to find new living spaces, but also ruining their furniture. Now, as homes dry […] Read more...
No current events for this location.