Due to COVID-19, adjustments have been made to our services with no in-person activities taking place at the office. The Food Pantry continues to operate on a curbside pickup model. Please see below for more details about each of our programs.
Catholic Charities welcomes individuals and families of all faiths or no faith tradition, living in the following counties to participate in services: Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover, and Pender.
For Burgaw Social Services, visit Burgaw location page.
- No in person meetings. Phone calls will still be returned.
- Existing clients will be served using phone and email communications.
- Electronic referrals from partner agencies are still being accepted and reviewed.
Financial assistance is available to assist eligible families recovering from Hurricane Florence. To receive assistance, please contact the disaster staff member assigned to your county according to the list below. If you have any questions, please contact the Wilmington Office.
Bladen – Daniela Vereau – 910-251-8130 ext. 114
Brunswick – Daniela Vereau – 910-251-8130 ext. 114
Columbus – Michele Yanicak – 910-251-8130 ext. 117
Duplin – Sonia Royes – 910-259-5153
New Hanover – Michele Yanicak – 910-251-8130 ext. 117
Pender – Daniela Vereau – 910-259-5153 ext. 114
Schedule by appointment only. Curbside pick-up only.
- Wednesday: 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- To make an appoint, please call (910) 251 – 8130.
The Catholic Charities Wilmington food pantry serves those who are hungry in the Cape Fear area through distribution of non-perishable emergency food. This service is provided by staff and volunteers in partnership with the community, without regard to race or religion.
Individuals or families in need may come to the food pantry once every 30 days to receive a 3 – 4 day supply of groceries. People without kitchen access receive a small bag of no-cook food items and are served weekly. Those requesting food are asked to show identification and describe their needs.
Pender County Food access:
Hours: Thursday: 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Catholic Charities clients from Pender County in need of food assistance are encouraged to utilize the St. Joseph Food Pantry located at 1303 Highway 117 South, Burgaw. During food pantry hours, individuals also have access to health education, health screenings, emergency assistance, and case management services provided by Catholic Charities.
If you are considering donating food or funds to keep the pantry stocked, some of the most requested items are:
|· Peanut Butter||· Canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon, etc.)|
|· Cereal||· Silk Milk|
|· Granola bars||· Pop top canned vegetables|
|· Rice||· Pop top canned fruit|
|· Pasta||· Fruit cups|
|· Protein drinks and bars||· Apple Sauce|
|· Beans||· Oatmeal|
- No in person appointments.
- Services will be conducted by phone and email only.
Our bilingual DOJ Accredited Representative can assist in the completion and submission of various legal immigration documents including: Applications for Citizenship, Naturalization, and Family Based processes. Our professional staff also provide informational sessions to parish and community groups on immigration rights, responsibilities, and current immigration issues and resources.
Visit the Immigration page for more information about what services we provide, and how to fill out the On-Line-Intake
Please contact Maria Mendoza, Full DOJ Accredited Representative, by email Maria.Mendoza@ccharitiesdor.org or at 910-251-8130 ext. 116 to schedule an appointment.
In the spirit of the Christmas season, Catholic Charities organizes the Wrapped with Love Christmas Program to connect families with toys that can be shared with their children.
Due to COVID-19, our program will look much different than previous years. To keep everyone safe, healthy, and to maintain social distance, we have moved our application online. Families who apply and are approved, will receive a family Christmas gift basket filled with family friendly activities along with other special gifts.
for more information about the Wrapped with Love Christmas Program.
Temporarily Suspended due to COVID-19
- Pick Up Hours: Tuesday – Friday 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Catholic Charities is the distribution site for the Lower Cape Fear Diaper Bank. Low-income families can access 30-50 diapers once every 30 days.
- Baby clothing sizes newborn to 24 months.
- Families can shop in the baby room once every 60 days.
- Other baby items:
- Availability based on donations.
- Frequently in stock items include: formula, baby food, blankets, bouncy seats, toys, etc.
Hygiene and Household Cleaning items:
- Individuals and families can access these items monthly during emergency assistance hours.
- Frequently in stock items include:
• Tissues • Shampoo • Detergent • Soap • Hand Soap • Bug Spray • Dishwasher Soap • Toothbrushes • Shaving Kits
- Call before you come to ensure we have what you need.
Emergency Utility Assistance:
- Assistance is available to low and moderate income families who live in New Hanover, Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, and Pender counties.
- Funds are used to help families pay their utility bills as a means to prevent homelessness.
- To access this service, call 910-251-8130 to make an appointment with a case manager.
- Due to limited resources, all individuals and families are screened and must go through an intake process.
- Please bring photo ID, copy of your bill, and proof of emergency at your time of appointment.
Interested in Volunteering: Tour with us before you volunteer to learn more about Catholic Charities. Our organization would not be possible without the support of our volunteers and we are so grateful for the impact they make in our community!
Catholic Charities is seeking volunteers for the following Programs:
9:00 am to 11:30 am on Fridays
- Bagging Food
Emergency Assistance Program
9:00 am to 11:30 am Tuesday-Thursday
Complete client and family intakes. Must have good interpersonal skills and have basic computer skills. Requires dedication, reliability, and a sincere interest in helping individuals and their families in the Cape Fear region.
- Donation pick-ups
Pick up locations include the Diaper Bank of the Lower Cape Fear and Costco. Must have reliable transportation.
- Job List
Assist with compiling job list for the Cape Fear area to distribute to clients.
Other volunteer needs:
- Christmas Toy Program (opportunities from October-December)
- Construction/moving/heavy lifting
- Disaster Recovery
- Event Committee/Planning
- Graphic Design
To find out how you can volunteer, please contact the Wilmington Office at 910-251-8130.
- Patricia Gutierrez Tootoo Nominated for 2020 Impact Award October 13th, 2020 Providing help, creating hope, serving all. This is the tag line for Catholic Charities. It is also an appropriate description of how Mrs. Patricia Gutierrez Tootoo works in the community. Due to her incredible commitment to others, Tootoo was recently nominated to receive the 2020 Impact Award. The annual Impact Award is organized by the […] Read more...
- Emilie Hart Recognized as Wilmington 40 under 40 Award Winner September 21st, 2020 Recently, StarNews Media and the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce released their annual 40 under 40 list. This year, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh is excited that our Regional Director for the Cape Fear Office, Ms. Emilie Hart, was included on this list. Following this recognition, we sat down with a few of Hart’s […] Read more...
No current events for this location.