The Catholic Charities Disaster Services Program works to help individuals, families, and the community prepare for and recover from natural disasters. Catholic Charities focuses on the response, recovery, and preparedness phases of the disaster cycle.
While there is no controlling who is impacted by a disaster, economically vulnerable populations are disproportionately affected. When local resources are overwhelmed by a natural disaster, Catholic Charities is ready to respond to the needs of survivors.
Disaster Case Management:
Disaster Case Management is available to assist eligible families recovering from Hurricane Florence. To receive assistance, please schedule an appointment by contacting the Cape Fear Regional Office at their mainline, 910-251-8130.
NC Catholics Volunteer:
NC Catholics Volunteer provides the opportunity for volunteers to help repair homes damaged by Hurricane Florence.
- Individuals looking for assistance in repairing their home should contact Vickie, Disaster Specialist, at Vickie.Sasser@ccharitiesdor.org or by phone at 910-251-8130 Ext. 2706.
- Volunteers from across the Cape Fear Region are welcome to participate in single day trips and volunteers from across the country are welcome to participate in week-long trips. Catholic Charities has housing facilities for work teams staying overnight. All participants in overnight trips must be 18+. For single day opportunities, please visit the NC Catholics Volunteer page. To coordinate a week-long trip please contact Vickie, Disaster Specialist, at Vickie.Sasser@ccharitiesdor.org or by phone at 910-251-8130 Ext. 2706.
Hunger in our communities is an issue that far too many families are experiencing. A lack of nutritious meals can have long lasting effects on the physical, mental, and social well-being of all members of a family.
Catholic Charities Food Pantry Services are dedicated to providing healthy meals, increasing access to food, and developing innovative solutions to address food insecurity in a collaborative way.
With dignity and respect at the forefront of all interactions, families are offered a hand up during their most challenging times. In addition to feeding our neighbors, Catholic Charities Food Pantry Services serve as a medium for volunteerism, community engagement, and collaboration.
Client Choice Food Pantry (Wilmington):
Tuesday and Friday only: 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Individuals or families in need may come to the food pantry once every 30 days to receive a 3 – 4 day supply of groceries.
- The Cape Fear office has transitioned to a Client Choice Pantry, allowing clients to select their own food instead of receiving a pre-packed or standard bag of groceries. Our client choice food pantry resembles a small grocery stores, with products arrayed on shelves and in coolers/freezers, from which clients can fill boxes or bags.
- The Client Choice model allows our clients to shop with a Personal Shopping Assistant to help them create meals that are nutritious and healthy, while being respectful of the needs of each individual family. As a healthy pantry partner with the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina we are proud to provide recipes, healthy eating flyers, and more! This service is available once every 30 calendar days.
Traditional Food Pantry (Located in Burgaw):
- St. Joseph Food Pantry
- Hours: Thursdays, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
For over 25 years, the Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services have assisted families in completing various immigration related processes.
Individuals and families who qualify meet with Catholic Charities immigration staff who are accredited by the Department of Justice. Through one-on-one meetings, staff provide education on the immigration process and assist in the completion and submission of applications with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
ServicesThe services below are provided at a minimum cost. Services and appointments will be conducted by phone, email or virtually only with limited in person appointments.
- Community Educational Presentations and Workshops
- Family Petitions
- Adjustment of Status
- Temporarily Protected Status (TPS)
- Consular Processing
- U-Visas (For Victims of serious crimes)
- VAWA (For victims of domestic violence)
- Work Permits
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Renewals
- USCIS strongly encourages you to submit your DACA Renewal request between 150 days and 120 days before the expiration date located on your current Form I-797 (Work Authorization Card).
Consultation Payment & Online IntakeCatholic Charities offers the ability for potential immigration clients to complete their intake online. Steps to complete the online intake:
- Use the link below to pay the $50 consultation fee.
- Following payment, you will be directed to the online intake which you will complete and submit.
- Once your information is entered, one of our Immigration Accredited Representatives will contact you to evaluate your case and make an appointment with you.
- Are you seeking Political Asylum?
- Do you have a court date pending, and need representation?
- Do you reside outside the state of North Carolina?
- Do you have a criminal record, felony, significant misdemeanors or three or more non-significant misdemeanors?
Online PaymentIndividuals who are established clients have the ability to pay their Catholic Charities related fees online. Use the link below to access the payment page.
Catholic Charities recognizes the imbalances in access, opportunities, and resources that exist within our immigrant community. Immigration Legal Services are structured to attract all immigrants regardless of place of origin, culture, religion, or economic status. The goal is to provide help and create hope for immigrants as they establish their lives in the United States
Our bilingual DOJ Accredited Representative can assist in the completion and submission of various legal immigration documents including, Applications for Citizenship, Naturalization, Family Based processes, DACA renewals and other immigration processes. Our professional staff also provide informational sessions to parish and community groups on immigration rights, responsibilities, and current immigration issues and resources.
Visit the Immigration page for more information about what services we provide, if you are a new client, please fill out the On-Line-Intake to better serve you.
Nuestro representante bilingüe, acreditado por el DOJ puede ayudarlo a completar y presentar varios documentos legales de inmigración, incluyendo solicitudes de ciudadanía, naturalización, procesos familiares, renovaciones de DACA y otros procesos de inmigración. Nuestro personal profesional también brinda sesiones informativas a la congregación parroquial y grupos comunitarios.
Visite la página de Inmigración para obtener más información sobre los servicios que brindamos. Si es un cliente nuevo, complete el formulario en línea y así brindarle mejor atención.
Emergency Utility Assistance:
Assistance is available to low and moderate income families. Funds are used to help families pay their utility bills as a means to prevent homelessness.
- To access this service, call 910-251-8130 Ext. 2702 to make an appointment with a case manager.
- Due to limited resources, all individuals and families are screened and must go through an intake process.
- Please bring photo ID, copy of your bill, and proof of emergency at your time of appointment.
For Pender County Residents:
Contact Sonia Royes, located at our satellite office at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, 1303 U.S. 117 Burgaw, NC 28425. Please call 910-259-5153 to schedule an appointment.
Other Items Available:
- Baby clothing sizes newborn to 24 months.
- Families can shop in the baby room once every 60 days.
Other baby items:
- Availability based on donations.
- Frequently in stock items include: formula, baby food, blankets, bouncy seats, toys, etc.
Hygiene and Household Cleaning items:
- Individuals and families can access these items once every 30 calendar days during emergency assistance hours.
- Frequently in stock items include:
• Shampoo • Conditioner • Detergent • Body Wash • Hand Soap • Toothbrushes • Dishwasher Soap • Toilet Paper • Paper Towels • Lotion
- Call before you come to ensure we have what you need.