About Catholic Charities
Providing help to our brothers and sisters in need by alleviating the effects of poverty and creating hope by developing solutions to transform lives.
Inspired by God’s love and compassion, Catholic Charities envisions a more just society transformed by respecting the dignity of all individuals and collaborating to provide help and create hope for the most vulnerable in our community.
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh traces its history of serving families in North Carolina to 1899, when a Catholic Orphanage was established in Raleigh. Since that time, the agency has expanded and adapted to the needs of the community. We serve people of all faiths or no faith tradition by providing direct services and collaborating with a range of community partners to ensure vulnerable and isolated individuals and families in our community are respected and supported.
Catholic Charities services are available to families in 54 counties in central and eastern North Carolina through the operation of 11 service sites. Last year, over 136,000 individuals were served through our programs of Disaster Services, Food Pantry Services, Family Advancement Services, and Immigration Legal Services.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh recognizes the importance of, and prioritizes, integrating core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion into agency operations and services to our multiracial and multicultural communities.
We believe that cultivating a board of directors, staff, and volunteer base with unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives strengthens our organization, allowing for enhanced creativity, decision making, and innovation. Catholic Charities envisions a more just society transformed by respecting the dignity of all individuals and collaborating to provide help and create hope for the most vulnerable in our community.
We are committed to a non-discriminatory approach, providing equal opportunity for staff and volunteers to excel in their roles and advance within the organization. In addition, board members, staff, and volunteers have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect at all times. Board members, staff, and volunteers are expected to exhibit conduct that reflects these core values while representing Catholic Charities.
As an organization that is committed to maintaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh:
- Ensures policies, processes, including hiring and promotion, programs and services are closely monitored and updated to remain free of any inequities.
- Emphasizes diversity in recruitment and selection of board members, agency leadership, staff, and advisory bodies which reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Reserves time and resources, and creates policies and programs, to foster an environment in which our core values are maintained.
- Conducts trainings for staff and volunteers to ensure adherence to our core values.
- Maintains cultural competency throughout our organization and services through agency hiring practices and educational opportunities for staff and volunteers.
- Consciously works to engage minority owned companies throughout the process of selecting vendors for programming and events.
- Is dedicated to developing and maintaining an Inclusion Committee, made up of board members, staff, volunteers, and clients, which is empowered to review and make recommendations regarding the organization’s actions around diversity, equity, and inclusivity.