Message from the Executive Director
Thousands of Afghan refugees are resettling in the U.S. because of the dangerous situation in their home country. They helped the U.S. military for 20 years and now they need the help of others.
At Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh, we work to provide help, create hope, and serve all, including these recent Afghan refugees. However, providing refugee specific services is a complex process and requires a specific skillset, one that is not currently part of our services.
Catholic Charities will look to our other wonderful partners here in North Carolina and across the country who have the experience and ability to properly serve these families. Rather than duplicate their services which already exist, we will support and partner with these other organizations in their incredible work.
– Lisa Perkins, Executive Director
How Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh
Will Be Assisting
Each Catholic Charities office throughout Central and Eastern North Carolina will be working with partners to explore ways that existing programs can assist Afghan refugees. Additionally, if Afghan refugees contact a Catholic Charities office, an assessment will be conducted to determine if they are eligible for any of the services currently provided.
How You Can Help Afghan Refugees
Making a financial donation allows organizations directly serving Afghan refugees the flexibility to provide what is needed at that moment, in a time when needs can be constantly changing at a rapid pace. We encourage our community looking to make a financial contribution to directly assist Afghan refugees to donate to one of the following organizations.
Catholic Charities USA
- Catholic Charities USA is collecting financial contributions and will distribute those funds to local Catholic Charities agencies who are directly serving Afghan refugees.
- Following Hurricane Matthew and Hurricane Florence, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh greatly benefited from funding provided by CCUSA and we encourage our local donors to consider helping other network agencies in a similar way by donating to CCUSA.
- CWS is a national Non-Profit and has an office located in Durham, North Carolina. CWS has a long history of serving refugees, and specifically Afghan refugees. CWS is a long-time partner of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Raleigh and provides a vital service to North Carolina residents.
- Individuals looking to make a financial contribution to a local organization or volunteer in the triangle are encouraged to visit the CWS website for more information.